An Introduction To Dutch New Wave Volume 21


This installment came together after my post on the Dutch New Wave (1977-1988) facebook site, just a day after releasing Volume 20. The post contained the research of nine months, after my fellow admin on this facebook site published a list at the end of January. The reactions were overwhelming and included a list of nearly fifty new names. This installment is the result of the first search for those fifty names.

Normally I keep the story behind a Volume global, but for this Volume I want to share some more  background information. Out Of Data was the first band I discovered myself when I decided at first to end this series with Volume 20. It all started with the search for Ben Kamphuis. His bands Brezneff and Nozmas were already known and featured in this series, but Out Of Data was new to me. You can hear the influence of Jan Hammer, who had just broken through that year with his Miami Vice Theme.

The second find was the band One Two. My wife has known Tineke Schoemaker for quite some time, since they both lived in the same village. Tineke Schoemaker is well known as the front woman of the blues band Barrelhouse, but during the period 1984 - 1989 she formed the duo One Two with Rob van Donselaar (check out the cover of the debut from 1984; he is a Billy Curie look-a-like). (Vince is) Lost In Tangier is a great album track, and the duo, to my opinion, deserved more attention with this great synthpop album.

The third special track was one I became curious of when I went through the first version of the list. I Spy is a curious name for a band (to be honest I came across a lot of curious band names in the past nine months), and it got my attention straight away. The track Coney Island became a bit of an obsession to discover. Finally last week I duck up some I Spy singles, and fell in love with Coney Island straight away. BTW the same goes for Eva Braun by Dull Schicksal. So although I Spy was already featured on two earlier Volumes, it makes them the first band featured with three tracks. And this song surely gaves me the goose bumps, not only because of the influence of early Icehouse.

Another search for months was the mini album of Coka. Finally managed to find it this week and the result is featured with the track Hate.

The last story is about Dante's Inferno. Slowly it starts to become clear that it indeed might have been a Dutch band from The Netherlands (possibly Amsterdam), although the tracks leading to this conformation are still shrouded in clouds.

Their story in short: In 1982 their only release, the Decadence And Annoyance, was released on a combined cassette, with Groupsound of Mick Ness, on the French Tago Mago label. Mick Ness is Dutch New Wave and on a site I read AWESOME DUTH COLD WAVE WITH MINIMAL SOUND.
The enclosed info of Dante's Inferno with the cassette is in French; Mick Ness In English, The title of their part is in English and the songs are in German and English (a not unusual situation in the early eighties for Dutch bands). The question, to provide more info, is asked to Mick Ness personally, but he has not react yet. Another site mentioned the band as being part of the Dutch Ultra movement 1980-81.

So here I present you the tracks:

01. Out Of Data - 1985 (3:12)
02. Top Dogs? - Love You For Your Uniform (3:56)
03. Dark Ravens Of Dance - Entrance (3:47)
04. One Two - (Vince is) Lost In Tangier (4:09)
05. Scatterbrains - My-Konos (2:55)
06. T.T.L. - Transistor Generation (3:57)
07. Trespasser W - Brel (4:54)
08. Save The Robots - Gangster's Maul (5:16)
09. Dull Schicksal - Eva Braun (2:36)
10. Hessel Veldman - Impotence (3:41)
11. Streetbeats - Looking For A Stranger (2:54)
12. Coka - Hate (4:06)
13. De ronde stip - I Know Exactly When (3:43)
14. I Spy - Coney Island (5:22)
15. Next Crisis - Could Have Been Me (4:09)
16. Dante's Inferno - Klank Zeugung (5:07)
17. Sens Unique - The Right Track (3:510
18. Relèvement '82 - Red Hair (3:15)
19. Double Feature - Bow & Bow (4:14)
20. Never Noooh No - PV (3:48)

The link.

The picture shows the Central Station of Amsterdam, taken just a week ago when I visited Herman van Veen at Koninklijk Theater Carré.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction To Dutch New Wave Vol. 32

A Flock Of Seagulls