An introduction To Dutch New Wave Volume 1

It has been awhile since my last post, but in the background I have been working on a new project. After the remastering of The Unknown Beauty Of The 80s compilations at the end of 2015, I have been hunting on releases of Dutch New Wave bands from the period 1977-1988.

The New Wave marks my teenage years. In 1978 I went to high school. You could say nearly at the start of the New Wave. The first concerts I visited were at a local festival called Beeckestijn Pop. A yearly free festival which featured after the first years of local bands (f.e. The Bintangs and Carlsberg), a range of bands on their point of break through: Powerplay (1981), Urban Heroes, Neon, Diesel (1982), Coïtus Int., Het Goede Doel, Margriet Eshuijs Band (1983), Binberg (collaboration of The Bintangs and Carlsberg), Gruppo Sportivo (1984), Time Bandits, Gigantjes, Secret Sounds (1985), Fatal Flowers, I've Got The Bullets, De Dijk, Claw Boys Claw (1986), Belgium vocalist Raymond van het Groenewoud (1987). I have to dig up the pictures I made over the years.

The Dutch live at Paradiso, 1 December 2016.

For long I wanted to attend this project. Even making promises to friends that I would surprise them with a compilation of Dutch New Wave bands. At that time my list of names was quite short. During my musical awareness in the seventies and eighties (so to say) I noticed bands like The Dutch, (the) Nits, Mo, Secret Sounds, Powerplay, Ten Sharp, Mekanik Kommando, Gruppo Sportivo, Casual Affair, Clan Of Xymox, The Meteors, Dixo Wankers and Urban Heroes.

Secrets Sounds, live on Record Store Day 19 April 2015.

Since following the forum of the New Wave Outpost the list grew, and with the start of a Dutch New Wave (1977-1988) Facebook site, for the first time a rather complete list of Dutch New Wave bands was made available online. I think 2/3 of the list was unknown to me at that time. But over the past months I have been searching for it. The funny thing is when you start searching, you even find bands not mentioned on this list. So in the past few weeks I contributed several names to this list, of even which I was not aware of before. Obscure names like Nadagen, Komovari64, Vienna Mortalis and The Rooftop to mention some.

So this brings me to the title of this post in months, of which I hope it marks the start on a regular base, to share with you information and music from the lowlands from my favorite musical period: the late seventies and the eighties in which I was musically formed.

Finally I have finished the first compilation, which contains some well known names, some lesser known names en maybe here and there some unknown names. Over the months I will come up with more volumes.

Tracklist:

01. Gruppo Sportivo - Hey Girl (2:27)
02. Urban Heroes - Get It (3:11)
03. Powerplay - Voices In My Head (3:29)
04. The Dutch - Video (4:21)
05. Media - Under Your Wings (4:09)
06. The Essence - Endless Lakes (3:27)
07. Boris Dzaneck - Dance (3:06)
08. The Thought - I Had To Much To Dream Last Night (3:47)
09. Mo - Fred Astair (3:00)
10. Prima Volta - Headline News (7" version) (4:25)
11. Flue - Some-Times (in Arabia) (new version) (5:16)
12. The Nits - New Flat (2:45)
13. Kewi University Of Swing - Little Asia (2:51)
14. Social Security - Slow Emotion (3:46)
15. Kiem - Moneyman (6:15)
16. Casual Affair - Emotional Man (7" edit) (4:08)
17. Ce Soir - Femme Fatale (3:59)
18. Vice - A Plain Reprise (5:04)
19. La Danza Moderna - Heaven (5:04)
20. Secret Sounds - Wasteland (single mix) (4:23)

Enjoy this first one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Flock Of Seagulls

An Introduction To Dutch New Wave Vol. 32