Back to the music

These days are filled with music and less internet. I'm not in the mood to wander through websites, read blogs or spend time on e-mail. I went back to my cabinet, opened it and took out the CD's I wanted to hear again after so many years. Music which filled up the free times of the past, when you lay on your bed studying, or reading a book while the records made their rounds.



So yesterday I played mostly Toyah records. Started from Sheep Farming In Barnet and ended with Love Is The Law. Albums I hadn't heard for quite some time and which I enjoyed a lot to hear again. During the first part of the eigthies I was a huge fan of Toyah Willcox, having all her records and most of the singles. A school friend introduced me to her music, and I remember borrowing the records from the library of Haarlem. A cycle trip we undertook each couple of weeks with a small group of friends. Afterwards we visited the record stores, where I started to buy the Toyah albums and singles.



Yesterday evening we went to the funeral centre. Spent an hour alone with the body of my dad, with our family and some unkles and aunts who had come over as well. Afterwards we went to my sister's place and drank some coffee. Discussed the music for the service on Thursday. We watched some songs on YouTube and afterwards my oldest nephew started asking questions about certain bands his music teacher had discussed in class, I showed him some bands I like on YouTube, after he told me his teacher loved eighties progressive rock and bands like Yes and Rush.



I told him to come over soon some day so I could show him some stuff of the music I like. As a result I played only Rush today. And that was some time ago that I played their stuff. I think I had to go back to 2004, that I played some stuff to get into the R30 tour, which for me turned out to be a diseaster. I arrived at the concert when they already were playing more than half an hour. And left much to early. Since my girlfriend didn't like it. As with Toyah I went back to their eigthies period when they made progressive rock. I became really interested in the band after hearing several songs from their album Power Windows on the Dutch radio. I knew the band from their early hard rock songs like In The Mood and Working Man. Now I learned a complete different band, which made great powerful progressive rock with songs like Manhattan Project, Marathon and Big Money. Power Windows was one of the first albums I bought on CD. When in 1988 Rush played the Rotterdam Ahoy during their Hold Your Fire tour I was there and enjoyed the concert, just like several years later during their Roll The Bones tour.

Comments

Uncle Mike said…
Would you consider ripping the Ward Brothers "Madness Of It All" CD for me? I really want the instrumental version of the title song and I can't find it anywhere to buy at all. Thank you for your time! My e-mail is: unclemike80s@yahoo.com

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction To Dutch New Wave Vol. 32

A Flock Of Seagulls